It’s time once again to give away some cool robot prizes to celebrate the 10th birthday of GoRobotics! If you didn’t win last month’s contest, have no fear, try again this month (and the month after!). We have some great robot prizes from our sponsors, SuperDroid Robots, Apress, and Pololu.
There are three ways of entering this month’s contest:
1. Simply comment on this post and tell us why you should win.
2. Follow GoRobotics on Twitter and leave a comment below telling us your Twitter username.
3. Retweet the following, “Enter @GoRobotics.net’s 10 Year Birthday Robot Giveaway http://wp.me/pgDpL-kM“. Leave a comment when you do.
YOU CAN DO ALL THREE (three comments) TO INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING!
Winners will be chosen at random. Three winners will be chosen and the first winners will get his/her choice of the prizes, second place gets second choice and third place gets whatever is left over! The contest ends FEBRUARY 28th, 2010 at 12AM EST. Comments are moderated to prevent spam. Your comment won’t show up till the moderator has approved it. Here are this month’s prizes:
1st Place Prize – Parallax Penguin Robot worth $200 USD.
The Penguin Robot by Parallax is a unique walking robot. Using two micro servos and precisely CNC machined parts, the robot can walk via a “tilt-stride action” gait. The cute little penguin comes equipped with a digital compass to track its heading, two photoresistors for sensing ambient light and light tracking, and two infrared emitters and a detector for obstacle avoidance. The Penguin Robot comes with a 7-segment LED indicator and a piezo buzzer for making sound. This is a great kit for getting into robotics, and you should set aside about 4 hours to assemble him.
2nd Place Prize – Build Your Own CNC Machine, Extreme NXT, and LEGO Mindstorms NXT 2.0: The Kings Treasure (donated by Apress) worth $75 USD
The second place prize is a whole raft of excellent books from Apress.
Build Your Own CNC Machine is the book to get you started in fabricating your own parts. CNC expert Patrick Hood-Daniel and best-selling author James Kelly team up to show you how to construct your very own CNC machine for about $500 – $1000 USD. Then they go on to show you how to use it, how to document your designs in Computer-Aided Design programs, and how to output your designs as specifications and tool paths that feed into the CNC machine, controlling it as it builds whatever parts your imagination can dream up.
Extreme NXT shows you how to advance the NXT with more than 45 exciting projects that include creating a cool magic wand that writes words in thin air, building a remotely guided vehicle, and constructing sophisticated robots that can sense color, light, temperature, and more. All projects are explained with easy-to-follow, step-by-step instructions, so you’ll be able to create them successfully whether you’re a novice or an expert. This book also shows you how to expand the programming software and use the alternative language NXC.
LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT 2.0: The King’s Treasure is written for children ages 10 and up who want to learn to design, build, and operate robots using LEGO’s immensely popular MINDSTORMS NXT 2.0 robotics kit. The book leads readers through a series of five projects centered on an engaging story line. It can be read by kids alone, or it can provide the spark for a wonderful series of parent/child activities.
3rd Place Prize – 2x 24V 195 RPM Gear Motors (donated by Super Droid Robots) worth $40 USD
These powerful 24V motors donated by Super Droid Robots will kick-start your next robot project. They are high-quality motors with steel gears (not cheap plastic), and used in Super Droid’s All-terrain robots. They use a 1:27 gear reduction and have an amazing 12 kgf-cm of torque. That means they could lift a 26 lb (12 kg) load using a 1 cm lever arm! They are rated for < 250 mA of drive current. Get started building something cool!
Update: Congratulations to our winners, Gerry Blondeaux, Dalton Caughell, and Matt Thouvenot.
- To enter the contest, you must comment on this post.
- Giveaway ends February 28th, at 12AM EST (9PM PST)
- One prize package per winner.
- No purchase is necessary to enter the contest it’s free!>
- Everyone is eligible, but shipping is free to only those in the Continental US: if you are outside this area, you will have to pay for shipping.
- PayPal is required to pay for shipping if you live out of the Continental US
- Winners will be contacted via email supplied in the comment form.
- You have 48 hrs to respond to the email and choose your prize package.
- GoRobotics.net makes NO WARRANTY or GUARANTEES about these prizes.
- GoRobotics.net can change the rules WHENEVER IT WANTS.
Special Thanks to Our Sponsors! BUY STUFF FROM THEM: