Connection Issues with Lynxmotion PS2 Controller w/ 3DOF Bot

Print view Share :
Previous topicNext topic

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]

1, 2
Rookie ( offline )
Posted: 2011-10-17 08:23 
kurte wrote:
In cases like this, I usually like to backtrack and try to localize the problem down. Especially since I don't know what program you are using...

1) You said you tried out the PS2 remote and receiver on a PS2 and it worked. So the hardware part sounds like it is working.

2) Try to see if a Simple PS2 program works with it. Something like what is in the tutorial: http://www.lynxmotion.com/images/html/build034.htm

2a) If it does not work, what is the outputs shown on the screen. Is it valid data or all 0's or 255s? If it is valid data, and still blinking, it says that receiver is at least working well enough to talk to the BAP, if it is all 0's or 255s, than it is not talking.

2b) If it is not talking correctly, than need to double check things like:
a) Is the PS2 correctly installed into the PS2 cable. I think it is hard to do, but is it plugged in upside down...
b) Check how the wires are plugged into the BB2. On most of the cables, I believe that there is a brown wire on one side of a 4 pin connector. Is that plugged into the P12 on the BB2? Also is plugged into the IO pin (the ones closest to the center of the board). Is the power and ground pins connect properly. Is the power pins for that group of IO pins configured for +5v and not VS.
c) Sometimes it helps to remove the 3 jumpers/shunts above the speaker that connect to the three LEDS and buttons.

d) if the PS2 is not talking at all, check to see if the IO pins are working... Could run a simple program like:
Code:
i var byte
Main:
   for i = 12 to 15
       toggle i
       pause 100
    next
goto main

Warning this code was typed in on the fly so could have bugs...

If in this step you have the 3 jumpers installed that I mentioned in c) the three LEDs should go on and then off... This will show that you can talk to P12-P14. Won't show P15. However if you have a Servo extension wire or other like jumpers you can remove these jumpers, and use the extension cable, by plugging it into 3 pins, like P13-P15 and plug the other end into the upper row on pins where you removed the shunts from(nearest the buttons). With the above code and if you did P13-P15 with the cable, you should be able to verify now if P15 works as well... Note: several of us use this trick of bumpering some IO pins to these pins to help debug code (or hardware).

There are probably lots of other tests you can do, but these should help to localize what to do next.

Kurt

Before I start with my programming trials, I wanted to say that I used a DMM to perform a continuity test on the IC. I tested from each pin to it's associated socket on the bottom side of the board. Everything checked OK.

2) So I followed the direcitions which the link provided. I wrote the code to the card, and programmed it declaring it as a BBII and version 8.0.1.7.

2a) What I saw matches Figure 2-1 in the tutorial. I still had the same status indicators as before; On the reciever a Solid Green (Left LED) and a flashing Red (Right LED). On the controller the left of the two LED's was a flashing red, and the right most LED was off. I still could not establish a connection. When I moved the analog's or pressed any digital keys I had no response from the program, and my numbers remained the same.

I also tried the program you wrote in 2d, and my BBII LED's would flash on/off in a sequential order. Looking at the code that seems what it's supposed to do.

From what it seems based on what you've said and I've seen; the PS2 reciever is talking to the robot, but I just cant get the controller to sync with the receiver.

So any ideas from there? Should I mail you the robot and controller? If so what's that general procedure, and is it listed on your site?

Again, thanks for the help.

Guru ( offline )
Posted: 2011-10-17 09:52 
So we now know the processor is working. Note on 2: I would recommend using the most recent versions of Basic Micro Studio(http://downloads.basicmicro.com/downloa ... 0-0-15.exe) over their old IDE. Current ones can be loaded from their forum (http://forums.basicmicro.net/). Nathan normally announces new releases in the News section. I often will also post it up on this forum, but I have not mentioned the last two builds as they are NANO specific.

I assume you have tried replacing the batteries in the remote. Also when the program starts up, try turning the power off on the remote and then back on. Try that a couple of times.

Kurt

Guru ( offline )
Posted: 2011-10-17 11:56 
I can help you if it's time to get the PS2 tested in house. Please don't send the entire robot, only the PS2 controller/receiver and Botboard with Atom Pro. Let me know and I will PM you with details.

Rookie ( offline )
Posted: 2011-10-17 16:06 
That is the verson of Basic Micro Studio that I've been using. I haven't edited the base program. The only programs I have tried to use are the ones generated by PowerPro.
The batteries in the remote are right out of the package. I tried swapping it on and off a few times as well as attempting to toggle the analog setting.

If you could PM me and let me know what to do to send the materials back that would be awesome.

I had to go out of town for the week on business so I gave the robot over to a friend who has been working on it with me. There is the possibility that they've mailed you the entire robot... I'm not sure of the address they may have found, but if they found one then it was off of your website most likely.

If you can let me know via PM that would be great. I'll let you know what we did when I find out myself.

Thanks!

Expert ( offline )
Posted: 2011-10-19 13:12 
We've got your board in for testing. Looks like your VS=VL trace was fried! Granted, this didn't cause any problems with your setup, but it does make me wonder how that happened. Turns out that there was a bad PS2 receiver in the mix. We're going to go ahead and replace that. Hold for Jim for more words regarding this.

James "Don't call me Jim" Frye
Lynxmotion, Inc
http://www.lynxmotion.com

Guru ( offline )
Posted: 2011-10-19 13:20 
We received the Bot Board II/Basic Atom Pro 28 and the PS2 controller and cable. Sorry, you were never going to get it to work... lol The first thing we noticed is the burned trace. Funny thing is it was there in the second image you posted.

Attachment:
badtrace.jpg
badtrace.jpg [ 131.79 KiB | Viewed 1566 times ]

Look in the red circle and you can clearly see the burned trace. It was completely open. Do you remember seeing/smelling any smoke? Because you are using the SSC-32 for the servos, you wouldn't have noticed this problem, but it has been damaged so I replaced it for you. You said you tested the PS2 controller and it worked fine. Our testing showed it would not connect at all. We swapped out the receiver and it is working fine. I will get this stuff returned to you tomorrow. Please send me the return shipping address.

Rookie ( offline )
Posted: 2011-10-19 16:37 
Actually we noticed at the start of our troubleshooting, and I was tempted to try to jumper the trace. However, from all we researched it didn't seem like it was to cause any problems so we kinda overlooked it. I just left it as it was, but I forgot to mention something on the forums when I posted since I had kinda ruled it out. Specially since I came to the forums as a last attempt to figure it out and get some views from you all.

When I tested the remote initially, it was on an old PS2 game console. It worked and I could navigate the menus, but I didn't actually get into any games to actually test it other than a few button presses. I also used the programs and tutorials you sent, but only got the results I listed before.

It's awesome to know that it was the receiver. It makes me curious as to why it worked on the console, but not on the robot, but I appreciate replacing the reciever for me as well as the board.

I'll send you a PM with my information.

I'll be sure to keep you up to date on the progress, especially since you've helped me out so much thus far.

Thanks again!

Rookie ( offline )
Posted: 2011-11-03 13:52 
Just wanted to let you know that everything is working. It's good to know that the new receiver works, and nice to see the bot walk around.

Now all that's left is to clean her up install the leg lighting and some extra lights on the the undercarriage.

Wanted to say thanks for all the help. It was much appreciated!

Thanks!

D

Guru ( offline )
Posted: 2011-11-03 14:26 
I'm glad everything worked out! Sorry again that it took so long.

1, 2