Free shipping on orders over $200

Looking for the right controller

Print view Share :
Previous topicNext topic

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]

New ( offline )
Posted: 2012-04-09 17:00 
Hi

Im not sure if this is the right place to ask for this since im new to the forum.

I am currently building a "walking floor trailer" for my rc truck. and i need a component which can control 3-4 servoes independant and together (see video)

It should be able to run forwards with servo 1,2,3 together and with servo 1, then servo 2, and then servo 3. IF possible also backwards.

[video=youtube;G92V9mDuDjE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G92V9mDuDjE[/youtube]

what product would be best for me to buy?

Regards

Kenneth

Admin ( offline )
Posted: 2012-04-10 07:57 
You're looking for the right servo and/or the right servo controller? For the servo controller, you can get away with something really small like the 08M Servo Driver (you'll also need the download cable). This allows you to control three channels (for in your case, channel 1 would control servos 1, 4 and 7; channel 2 would control servos 2, 5, 8; channel 3 would control servos 3, 6, 9). You can operate the servos in both directions. You would connect it to a push button for example (one click one direction, second click reverse, third click to stop.. it's up to you to program it to do what you want). For the servos, you'd need ones which are powerful enough to move the load; you might even choose three servos instead of 9 and use mechanical linkages.

RobotShop inc.
Putting Robotics at your service!™
www.robotshop.com

Lynxmotion
Imagine it. Build it. Control it.™
http://www.Lynxmotion.com

New ( offline )
Posted: 2012-04-10 08:57 
Thank you so much. You answered my question spot on! perfect :D I am only looking for the controller since i already know which servos im going to use.

New ( offline )
Posted: 2012-04-21 11:52 
Hi again

Now i have bought the picaxe 08m servo driver kit from the shop and assembled it. Now i want to connect it to my remote controlled receiver but im in doubt how to do. I still want to use the battery pack so i only need to know where to connect the 3 wires from the receiver (orange - signal, red - plus, brown - ground) into the picaxe 08m board.

I have searched the manual but i dont understand it.

Attachment:
DSCF4630.jpg
DSCF4630.jpg [ 48.96 KiB | Viewed 107 times ]
Attachment:
DSCF4633.jpg
DSCF4633.jpg [ 44.84 KiB | Viewed 108 times ]

Admin ( offline )
Posted: 2012-04-23 08:09 
Quote:
"...connect it to my remote controlled receiver"

Um... why? Your original post did not mention that you wanted to connect it to your R/C receiver, but this aside, your R/C receiver is intended to drive servo motors directly; why would you need another circuit? The receiver in your image looks like it has enough channels. The 08M servo driver takes serial commands and cannot be driven by a receiver.

RobotShop inc.
www.robotshop.com

Lynxmotion

New ( offline )
Posted: 2012-04-23 09:27 
I think i was on a wrong track with my previous post. So i will try again.

In your first post you said

Quote:
You would connect it to a push button for example (one click one direction, second click reverse, third click to stop.. it's up to you to program it to do what you want)

That is what i want to do with the receiver, so that when i push a button on my transmitter it will initiate the first command to the servo controller, second push another command etc. I dont need a second circuit, only the signal input. I hope you know what i mean this far.

Admin ( offline )
Posted: 2012-04-23 10:02 
Ah - understood better now. You therefore want to use your standard R/C transmitter / receiver, send a normal R/C signal to the receiver (using whichever channel) then have that signal start a sequence. You can still use the 08M to do what you want, but you will need to write (then upload) the correct code. You will need to have input 3 wait for a signal (high) from the receiver pin (output pin from receiver to input pin 3 of servo controller) and then follow a specific sequence (which you program). There is sample code available at the bottom of the user guide, and more is available on the Picaxe website. You can program the sequence to stop when it receives another signal. If you want to get fancy, time the signal, and have it move the servos in the desired direction with proportional speed.

RobotShop inc.
www.robotshop.com

Lynxmotion