Free shipping on orders over $200

LynxTerm 2 Beta Testers NEEDED!!!

Print view Share :
Previous topicNext topic

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]

1, 2
Expert ( offline )
Posted: 2011-08-30 17:36 
I've created a LynxTerm replacement to demonstrate flowstone's capabilities and to make a better application with the same functionality as the original.

Anyone willing to download the beta and test the program out would be greatly appreciated. Please report any bugs in a post in this thread.

Attachment:
LynxTerm 2.exe [1.68 MiB]
Downloaded 124 times
Attachment:
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG [ 47.91 KiB | Viewed 2286 times ]

Guru ( offline )
Posted: 2011-08-30 18:20 
Hi Devon,

OK, I downloaded, now what? That is it says Not Connected. How do I connect? How do I choose which Comm port? Do you give me a dynamic list of comm ports? Some of my serial ports are up in high 20s...

Also how do I change the size of the window (I don't want to be restricted on my 1600x1200 pixel display to a program setup to run on an 640x480 display?

Kurt

Guru ( offline )
Posted: 2011-08-30 18:59 
Is it going to complain about not being registered or something every time I load it?

+ as Kurt commented, it doesn't connect to anything! (I had a com10-ready IDE running, LynxTerm showed me a drop down menu with my two currently available ports).

What's the Icon?

Alan KM6VV

Expert ( offline )
Posted: 2011-08-31 16:32 
The program searches com 1-10 for a powered SSC-32. To connect you only have to connect an SSC-32. I still have to optimize the code to search more com ports more quickly(up to fifty maybe).

It shouldn't say anything about being registered ever...

Guru ( offline )
Posted: 2011-08-31 16:53 
"The publisher could not be verified. Are you sure you want to run this software?"

My older LynxTerm allows me to connect to whatever I want. Less useful if it can only talk to SSC-32 (although I have several).

Alan KM6VV

Expert ( offline )
Posted: 2011-08-31 16:55 
KM6VV wrote:
"The publisher could not be verified. Are you sure you want to run this software?"
This is a windows thing. Just uncheck the box that says "Always ask before opening this file" and it shouldn't bother you again.

James "Don't call me Jim" Frye
Lynxmotion, Inc
http://www.lynxmotion.com

Guru ( offline )
Posted: 2011-08-31 17:43 
I am like Alan and use Lynxterm for more than simply talking to an SSC-32, I also use it at times to talk to BB2 or Arduino or... Does it try all 4 baud rates each IO port to find an SSC-32? Also when it is disconnected, it allows me to do things like try to read in registers, which appears to hang the program out to dry, probably all such controls should be disabled when you are not connected.

Instead of iterating over comm port 1, 2, 3... Can you not simply check the comm ports that are currently connected? I know that Lynxterm, Basic Studio IDE, Arduino IDE, ... All do this and I do this in my simple VB programs as well. The other issue that you may run into by iterating over different comm ports is that I have had other programs like Basic Micro Studio hang, sometimes hanging the processor, when I randomly read some comm ports, such as one created for a Blue-tooth adapter.

Expert ( offline )
Posted: 2011-08-31 17:50 
The com port problem isn't my code. After making some changes on my end the com module in flowstone only seems to support up to com 10. We're looking into getting this fixed.

Flowstone has no way of polling the system for a list of active com ports so the only way of do this kind of operation is to check every com in a certain range. Because of this lack of function there is no way, other than sending ver to the SSC-32, to make sure the board hasn't been disconnected after the com had been opened. I however can add a function that displays all available ports much like lynxterm does in addition to the auto connect feature by recording the ports that actually open during the polling process.

Guru ( offline )
Posted: 2011-08-31 17:53 
Guru ( offline )
Posted: 2011-08-31 18:00 
I know it's a Windoz thing. I was just responding to a previous comment for clarification:

It shouldn't say anything about being registered ever...

Which to me implied that I should NEVER have seen the message, i.e., the publisher SHOULD have been verified (registered?).

Not terribly important, nor something I haven't seen before, but something I would comment about as a Beta tester.

Fish (Admin) wrote:
KM6VV wrote:
This is a windows thing. Just uncheck the box that says "Always ask before opening this file" and it shouldn't bother you again.

Alan KM6VV
"What, Never? Well, Hardly ever..."

Expert ( offline )
Posted: 2011-08-31 18:13 
Busy ports will fail to be opened and will be passed over. After adding original functionality from lynxterm this will still be true.

Guru ( offline )
Posted: 2011-08-31 18:25 
That should work.

Looking for improvements? How about ability to compose, save and send simple "scripts" (short text strings) to the SSC-32? Something like what is done in the Docklight program I've mentioned before. It would also (optionally) calculate the needed checksum.

Alan KM6VV

Guru ( offline )
Posted: 2011-08-31 18:30 
Dev5994 wrote:
The com port problem isn't my code. After making some changes on my end the com module in flowstone only seems to support up to com 10. We're looking into getting this fixed.

Flowstone has no way of polling the system for a list of active com ports so the only way of do this kind of operation is to check every com in a certain range. Because of this lack of function there is no way, other than sending ver to the SSC-32, to make sure the board hasn't been disconnected after the com had been opened. I however can add a function that displays all available ports much like lynxterm does in addition to the auto connect feature by recording the ports that actually open during the polling process.

I think what you are saying is that Flowstone does not export any way for you as the user of flowstone to get to the underlying system comm objects. There are system APIs that would allow Flowstone to do this. As I mentioned earlier it is easy to do in VB. Here is some code I have in my SimpleTerm VB app that is called when the user clicks on the Comm port drop down list:
Code:
    Private Sub ComLB_DropDown(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles ComLB.DropDown
        ' Show all available COM ports.
        For Each sp As String In My.Computer.Ports.SerialPortNames
            If Not ComLB.Items.Contains(sp) Then
                ComLB.Items.Add(sp)
            End If
        Next

End Sub

I do this each time it drops down as there may be new comm ports that are created since the last time... Hopefully maybe you can get the Flowstone developers to add some additional support.

Now if I start up your program and no SSC-32s are currently connected and then I turn it on, does it then find it? Also if I have two SSC-32s connected can I choose which one to talk to?

So if you can not reliably disable the buttons for example to read registers, then the code should be setup to have all reads timeout after some short period of time.

I guess what I am expecting when you say this is a Lynxterm replacement is that it will have all of the functionality of the original Lynxterm plus ...

Kurt

EDIT: OK, I hook up an SSC-32 to my comm port 4 and start up the program and it still shows not connected. I am from time to time seeing the LED on the SSC-32 blinking, so not sure what is happening. Note: I do have a comm3 device that may not work well, so not sure if it is interfering. Also have SSC-32 configured for 115200

Expert ( offline )
Posted: 2011-09-01 17:41 
This is why I've needed feedback other than Jim. I'm working on all the things you guys have mentioned. I'm working with dsp to fix the com functionality.

kurte wrote:
Hopefully maybe you can get the Flowstone developers to add some additional support.

They are currently looking into this. (Been sworn to secrecy sorry guys)

kurte wrote:
OK, I hook up an SSC-32 to my comm port 4 and start up the program and it still shows not connected. I am from time to time seeing the LED on the SSC-32 blinking, so not sure what is happening. Note: I do have a comm3 device that may not work well, so not sure if it is interfering. Also have SSC-32 configured for 115200

On my computer I don't have a problem connecting to an SCC-32 AS LONG AS the port number is under 10. I'll have to try this on another machine.

Guru ( offline )
Posted: 2011-09-01 21:08 
Quick update: It appears the Com3 on my machine was to a modem. I was able to get it to be renumbered to be Com42. So now your program appears to find the SSC-32, but I believe only at 115200, at least it did not find it at 38400.

It appears like it was able to get the version string, but it is too large to display in the box. I am running:
SSC32-V2.07Alpha1A-EGP and it displays the string split on 2 lines with the top, bottom and Right hand sides chopped off.

OK, so I now bring up the registers screen. I fumble with the sliders some and then I hit the read button and it takes a little time and the read completes. The numbers are updated, however the sliders are not updated to the values read in for the currently selected servo number. FYI - I think you probably need some headers/titles to show what these numbers are...

Back to the main terminal stuff. I hope that you make the window resize able.

It would be great the next time it started up it remembered things like window size and position... Enhancement over Lynxterm

Should be able to scroll through more lines of data than what will fit on the screen.

Should be able to select lines and copy to clipboard - Enhancement.

I am not sure how many nits you want now. But for example, I prefer how buttons work in normal windows applications better than what I see with flowstone. That is you press the mouse button down over the button, and the button is redrawn with a depressed look, and if you release the mouse button while the mouse is still over the button, it logical button comes back up and the operation is performed. With the buttons in flowstone there is less feedback...

Kurt

1, 2