Putting robotics at your service™

Free shipping on orders over $200

Need Help With Private Message Sending

Print view Share :
Previous topicNext topic

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]

Expert ( offline )
Posted: 2011-10-28 21:56 
I send very few private messages which probably is why I don't know the answer to this.

Sometimes I write a PM, preview and correct it, click Submit, and it goes its merry way with no problem at all.

Other times I write or reply to a PM, click Submit, and it tells me it went successfully, but it hangs in my Outbox and does not appear in my Sent folder. I can call it up from my Outbox, but there is no button to send it from there. Eventually it may finally go out, but I never really know when or why.

I really don't like this especially when responding to someone because it seems impolite not to give them the answer they are expecting.

Does anyone know why this happens, or better yet, the solution? How can I flush my PM Outbox and force the message to go?

Thank you for the help.

Guru ( offline )
Posted: 2011-10-28 22:08 
My guess is that it stays in your outbox until the other person(s) read it. My guess at times it may hang if the other persons inbox is full and they may not receive any new messages until they clean up their inbox. But remember I am just guessing.

Kurt

Expert ( offline )
Posted: 2011-10-29 02:06 
kurte wrote:
My guess is that it stays in your outbox until the other person(s) read it. My guess at times it may hang if the other persons inbox is full and they may not receive any new messages until they clean up their inbox. But remember I am just guessing.

Kurt

I don't know, Kurt, you may be right. I had logged all the way off the internet and then back in to my User Control Panel several times before I posted my question only to find my PM always stuck in my Outbox. Then after reading your response, I logged in again to find it gone from the Outbox and in my Sent folder.

In addition to mastery of the occult programing arts, do you have trans-Atlantic superpowers you haven't told us about yet?

Well, I have to go now - time to ask INNERBREED about his robotics room again. :P

Thanks, Ted

Guru ( offline )
Posted: 2011-10-29 04:25 
 Post subject: Sent via phone.
To answer the question, once you submit the message it will resume in the outbox in till its been read by the reciever. So dont worry. If its in the outbox it means it just waiting to be read and not hanging it cyberspace.
Who said robot room?! To be fair, once iv built a project its usually followed quite closly by another so i end up using parts from the other project. My robotroom wouldnt have much in it due to that factor. Although i do document everything and archive it into folders on my harddrive. Anything from small assemblys to the larger working models gets archived.
Always good when you need to remember something and how it went together.

Create, Innovate, Inspire.

Expert ( offline )
Posted: 2011-10-29 08:44 
Thanks, Jonny,

You and Kurt seem to be describing the same process whereby the outgoing message remains in my Outbox (on the Forum) until the intended recipient (while on the Forum) moves it from me to his Inbox. Not what I would have expected thinking of standard email as my model. But in the special case of having to be logged in to the Forum, it makes sense, and I can see how it would work. Again thinking of standard email, I was afraid that it wasn't getting far enough out there for the recipient to hear about it.

Regarding your archival process: Given the fabulous rate at which you turn out one stunning project after another, I can see now that you don't really need a robotics room. You need a Hard Drive Storage Facility much like the old tape reel storage rooms back when the whole world would never exceed the capacity of ten mainframes. :D

Thanks again, Ted