Putting robotics at your service™

Free shipping on orders over $200

-SOLVED-ABC LEDs flash and peizo clicks constantly

Print view Share :
Previous topicNext topic

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]

New ( offline )
Posted: 2011-09-24 04:44 
I just finished assembly of a A4WD 1. When I hook 9VDC to the BotBoard II, the green pwr LED glows and the A,B,C LEDs flash off and on about once a second, along with a click from the peizo speaker. It does this with all other connections removed. Is this correct operation? I have checked both the polarity and voltage and both are correct. Pressing the reset button momentarily stops the flashing and the clicks.The processor is a BASIC Atom Pro 28 Pin.

I hooked up a serial>USB cable and ran Basic Micro Studio 2.0.0.14 and it reports: 'BAP 28 found on COM7'. I clicked 'Program' and get this error: 'A basic ATOMPro processor must be connected for automatic detection'. But I don't think that is part of the problem, at least at the moment. I'm using a Sabrent USB to serial adapter with a FTI chipset. The drivers are loaded in my laptop, a Asus K601 running W7 64bit. The PC seems to find the BotBoard and it stops the flashing and clicking for a second or two.

Any ideas? I also included a photo. The only change to the board was removing the servo power VS VL jumper as I'm powering the servos from a 6VDC source.

Attachment:
DSCN1171m.JPG
DSCN1171m.JPG [ 89.22 KiB | Viewed 946 times ]

Last edited by redwudz on 2011-09-24 19:15, edited 1 time in total.
Guru ( offline )
Posted: 2011-09-24 09:27 
The clicking and blinking is a result of the test program on the Atom Pro chip. You must program it for your robot. To program the chip click program . Any problems are probably due to the USB to serial cable. Try this page for ideas.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4702

If it's a FTDI cable go into the VCP driver and change latency to minimum. Hope this helps...

New ( offline )
Posted: 2011-09-24 19:14 
Thanks, that does help quite a bit. I hadn't seen where that was the default mode of the BASIC Atom Pro. :oops:
I also had my laptop running off batteries, which may have been a communication factor. I also missed the 'F1' button for help in the Basic Micro Studio program and that helped me with the setup.

But after a few adjustments, I managed to load the first.bas program and all is well. Next I tried to run the 4WD1TST2.BAS program and the motor controller was unresponsive. A bit of research at the Demension Engineering site and I used their dip switch configurator and was able to perform the motor tests. All OK. :) :D

Next is hooking up the Sharp sensors, but I'm learning. Thanks again. :)

Guru ( offline )
Posted: 2011-09-24 23:29 
Way cool! I'm glad you got it going! 8)

New ( offline )
Posted: 2011-09-26 14:37 
Fully operational now with sensors attached, running 4WD1AUTO.BAS. Now I have to learn a bit more about programming. :)

Guru ( offline )
Posted: 2011-09-26 15:59 
That bit of code was a blast to watch James work on. Lots of room for code changes in the behavior.