Putting robotics at your service™

Free shipping on orders over $200

Starting an RC Receiver control for Botboarduino and others.

Print view Share :
Previous topicNext topic

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]

1, 2
Guru ( offline )
Posted: 2012-05-22 14:39 
Hi Aaron,

T7C here as well. I did get the DIYDrones PPM module, and will connect it up to either the new Botboarduino or my Arduino UNO. I got two receivers with it, one for my heli, and one for a 'bot. Yeah, the receivers are expensive! I could use a couple more!

But even if you use the PPM module, you still have to painstakenly measure each pulse width, even if done in the background by an interrupt process. Maybe better then pulse in one channel at a time, 'tho.

What is needed is a uP system, with an external bus. Then the data could be transferred a byte at a time. Converting to a RS232 (ttl) transmission received by an interrupt would probably be fast, and with hardware could be done in the background.

I'm going to be using a slave processor for sensors; it might work to read the channels or PPM with it, and send ASCII strings as I do for sonar data.

Next, add relative bearing and target/obsticle recognition with a Blackfin Camera. Read it's message as well. (Humm, Windoz Exploder doesn't have spelling check?)

Alan KM6VV

Expert ( offline )
Posted: 2012-06-18 15:04 
Maybe this is my ignorance, or just not understanding what I wanted to do, however within the last week or two I realized that Uart is able to receive serial data without interrupting the main code... which is why Uarts are not plentiful on micro controllers...

So that DIY drones module isn't all that great! you could just use a teensy 2.0 to do the same work... if not reprogram the drones module with my code I wrote... I can post it later although its dreadfully simply.... I was about 1-2 weeks into poking around with an arduino before I got it to do what I wanted.... I wanted a blinking light so I used the on-board led to blink every other pass.

The Basic Micro only has one Uart so you have to use the last couple pins on your botboard before it will work.... 14-15 I think it was?

I plan on having something worked on by this week on my phoenix.... I'll post pictures of the mess.

By the way Alan,
If you want to order one of those turnigy9X's, I have some spare parts!.. In fact I have two stock TX modules and 3x receivers and some DIY PPM transmitters ... I'll have to take pictures of the leftover stuff I have... I think you could actually build a DIY transmitter like the ubertransmitter2000 that Kurt/xan/zenta built with 40,000 buttons... and it also blends.

I still want to unload my T7C on someone, these ebay cheepies are fun to hack around with.

Once I have some more time to poke around with this "hopefully this week" I'll show you exactly what I'm trying to do , although that diydrones PPM module is small enough, but then again a teensy at 16 bucks each isnt hard to beat since it has quite a bit more pins... only gripe I have with it are no mounting holes.

--Aaron

Guru ( offline )
Posted: 2012-06-18 17:36 
Hi Aaron,

LikWidChz wrote:
Maybe this is my ignorance, or just not understanding what I wanted to do, however within the last week or two I realized that Uart is able to receive serial data without interrupting the main code... which is why Uarts are not plentiful on micro controllers...

We USE interrupts on USARTS, so they don't "BLOCK" the executing code. They are not plentiful because they take up considerable resources of the uC.

Quote:
So that DIY drones module isn't all that great! you could just use a teensy 2.0 to do the same work... if not reprogram the drones module with my code I wrote... I can post it later although its dreadfully simply.... I was about 1-2 weeks into poking around with an arduino before I got it to do what I wanted.... I wanted a blinking light so I used the on-board led to blink every other pass.

It was cheap, I paid for it with PayPal from selling some of my drawings, got it fast!

Quote:
The Basic Micro only has one Uart so you have to use the last couple pins on your botboard before it will work.... 14-15 I think it was?

Yeah, I'll go with the Arduino Mega or a 32 bit PIC.

Quote:
I plan on having something worked on by this week on my phoenix.... I'll post pictures of the mess.

By the way Alan,
If you want to order one of those turnigy9X's, I have some spare parts!.. In fact I have two stock TX modules and 3x receivers and some DIY PPM transmitters ... I'll have to take pictures of the leftover stuff I have... I think you could actually build a DIY transmitter like the ubertransmitter2000 that Kurt/xan/zenta built with 40,000 buttons... and it also blends.

I'll let you know. I'm more interested in a trade for T7C and/or Receivers!

Quote:
I still want to unload my T7C on someone, these ebay cheepies are fun to hack around with.

Good if you've got the time...

Quote:
Once I have some more time to poke around with this "hopefully this week" I'll show you exactly what I'm trying to do , although that diydrones PPM module is small enough, but then again a teensy at 16 bucks each isn't hard to beat since it has quite a bit more pins... only gripe I have with it are no mounting holes.

--Aaron

Alan KM6VV

Guru ( offline )
Posted: 2012-06-19 13:07 
Split off the T7C stuff to trading post. Kurt's original thread has nothing to do with any of that stuff.

Expert ( offline )
Posted: 2012-06-19 15:34 
No worries Jim,

Thanks.

--Aaron

1, 2