The right motors for the job?

Print view Share :
Previous topicNext topic

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]

1, 2
New ( offline )
Posted: 2008-01-25 17:20 
Robot Dude wrote:
You mentioned changing the tires from 3" to 7". Remember the torque of the motor/wheel goes down as the diameter goes up. So changing tire size may make it physically capable of clearing the steps for climbing, the power of the motor/wheel will drop dramatically. Larger wheels require more powerful motors. ;)

Understood. Like I said I am very big into radio controlled rock crawlers. My "super class" competition rock crawler currently runs 2 540 sized motors geared at 48:1 and has plenty of torque and power. I think going up to 6 550's geared the same I should be alright.

evolution wrote:
If you ditch the snow plow idea, things can be alot cheaper.

Understood, and thank you. I honestly don't plan on going out and clearing neighborhoods with this, but just thought it'd be fun for my own driveway. Like I said this will be more of a toy than anything. I really thought about just ordering the MMP-8, but I want something a little larger.

Italian_guy299 wrote:
amazing:

:roll:

I know, I am the new guy here and know absolutely nothing, thanks for your vote of confidence.

Guru ( offline )
Posted: 2008-01-25 17:23 
That was actually a litteral comment, the " :roll: " is a typo, sorry.

New ( offline )
Posted: 2008-01-25 17:28 
Haha, it's all good. I figured being the new guy I was getting some grief. :wink:

Expert ( offline )
Posted: 2008-01-25 18:03 
Sounds like a fun project. I wouldn't buy an MMP-8 though.

Robotics is a drug and lynxmotion is the needle.

Guru ( offline )
Posted: 2008-01-25 18:09 
RCCrawler wrote:
Haha, it's all good. I figured being the new guy I was getting some grief. :wink:

Nope, we only rag on spammers and IT guys :lol:

and I agree with Evo, don't get an mmp-08, you could build something similar for much less. They do use Lynxmotion motors anyway...

1, 2