Free shipping on orders over $200

X-BRAT Autonomous Mech Warfare Robot

Print view Share :
Previous topicNext topic

Page 1 of 7 [ 102 posts ]

1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7
Veteran ( offline )
Posted: 2009-10-23 20:40 
Announcing the X-BRAT project: An autonomous BRAT designed for the Mech Warfare Competition.

I am starting this thread to introduce X-Brat. My intent for X-BRAT is to build the first fully autonomous robot to compete in the Robogames Mech Warfare catagory. You can read up on mech warfare here: http://mech-warfare.com/default.aspx

I was able to build the complete frame and mechanics and get it walking in less then a day thanks to the excellent kit and code supplyed by Lynxmotion

Here is the youtube video showing his first few steps running the pbrat code supplied by Lynxmotion and controlled with a wireless ps2 controller:

More information, pictures and videos will be posted as the project developes. I will use the same CMUcam2+ that I'm using on X-Rover. You can check out the X-Rover project here:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5580

Comments, questions, and feedback are welcome!

I am very excited to build my first Bi-ped...I'm very pleased at how well this kit went together.

Mark
Attachment:
File comment: X-BRAT completed frame with 2 ankle servos
XBRAT1.JPG
XBRAT1.JPG [ 198.07 KiB | Viewed 3752 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: X-BRAT Frame Completed
XBRAT2.JPG
XBRAT2.JPG [ 221.24 KiB | Viewed 3752 times ]

Last edited by fedasiuk on 2009-10-25 18:24, edited 3 times in total.
Guru ( offline )
Posted: 2009-10-24 10:38 
Looks good. It will look strangely tall until the torso is built out with the arms. My bratinator looked the same way before the arms were put on.

Here's an old picture:

The robotics nut.

Veteran ( offline )
Posted: 2009-10-24 12:41 
Thanks for the reply Mike.

I should mention that I was so inspired by your custom machined head for your Bratinator that I just had to have a cool looking head on X-BRAT. After some searching I found the Skull Gear Shift knob you see in my pic. I have one coming in in Black Chrome which should look better. I still like yours a lot better as it looks cooler and is more functional.

Mark

Guru ( offline )
Posted: 2009-10-24 19:48 
fedasiuk wrote:
Thanks for the reply Mike.

I should mention that I was so inspired by your custom machined head for your Bratinator that I just had to have a cool looking head on X-BRAT. After some searching I found the Skull Gear Shift knob you see in my pic. I have one coming in in Black Chrome which should look better. I still like yours a lot better as it looks cooler and is more functional.

Mark

It's always good to hear that someone, other than my self, is inspired by my design. :lol:

The black chrome will look cool! can't wait to see it mounted.

I'm curious, how do you have the head servo bracket mounted on the channel? I looked into doing the same thing on my brat but only one of the two holes would line up. Can you post a close-up of how you have it mounted?

The robotics nut.

Veteran ( offline )
Posted: 2009-10-24 19:57 
Sure...

I used one of the Lynxmotion wheel mounting hubs and screwed it to the servo horn and got a perfect fit. It may not work with your design (head) since it will eventually thread onto the hub like the skull gear shift knob would thread onto the gear shift shaft.

I will post pics later tonight.

Mark

Veteran ( offline )
Posted: 2009-10-24 23:16 
Here is the close up pic you asked for. Unfortunatly the size of the hole in the skull is just a little to big for the stock lynx hub. Lucky they provide the inside/outside threaded insert that you see sitting on top of the hub in the second pic. Eventually I will turn down and then cut threads to match the insert...then just screw on the head with some teflon plumbing tape to get a snug fit. The head is light enough that I'm allowing the sapce between the hub flat and the servo horn (wheel). I could fix that by milling the end of the hub flat with a countersink to fit over the small ridge around the screw that holds the horn to the servo shaft.

Let me know if this helps...

Mark

Attachment:
neck1.jpg
neck1.jpg [ 155.71 KiB | Viewed 3700 times ]

Veteran ( offline )
Posted: 2009-10-24 23:19 
Here is the second pic showing the threaded insert sitting on top of the hub:

Attachment:
File comment: Threaded insert on top of neck
neck3.jpg
neck3.jpg [ 179.96 KiB | Viewed 3700 times ]
Guru ( offline )
Posted: 2009-10-25 18:29 
Can you take a picture showing how the ASB-04 is mounted to the channel? Sorry this is what I actually ment.

I tried mounting the ASB-04 to the channel but only one hole would line up. I used an ASB-18 to mount the ASB-04 to the channel.

The robotics nut.

Veteran ( offline )
Posted: 2009-10-25 18:35 
Oh!!!

Sure no problem...I will do that now....there is a way to mount it so the servo shaft is near dead center.

Veteran ( offline )
Posted: 2009-10-25 18:43 
Mike- Here is the close-up you asked for...I got both holes to fit properly

Mark

Attachment:
ASB04NeckMount.jpg
ASB04NeckMount.jpg [ 208.21 KiB | Viewed 3679 times ]
Guru ( offline )
Posted: 2009-10-25 19:07 
Did you drill holes? because this is what I have:

Attachment:
DSCF0004[1].jpg
DSCF0004[1].jpg [ 61.07 KiB | Viewed 3675 times ]

Attachment:
DSCF0003[1].jpg
DSCF0003[1].jpg [ 36.27 KiB | Viewed 3675 times ]

The robotics nut.

Veteran ( offline )
Posted: 2009-10-25 19:20 
You need an ASB-24...not ASB-04!!!

That is the problem:

Attachment:
asb24.jpg
asb24.jpg [ 26.8 KiB | Viewed 3671 times ]
Guru ( offline )
Posted: 2009-10-25 20:24 
I swear I just saw a bright flash over the horizon and a few minutes later heard this "doh!" kind of noise go bye...

Veteran ( offline )
Posted: 2009-10-25 21:04 
Lol.....I think I heard it too!

Guru ( offline )
Posted: 2009-10-26 08:47 
EddieB wrote:
I swear I just saw a bright flash over the horizon and a few minutes later heard this "doh!" kind of noise go bye...

LOL!

You know... as long as I have been around, I was not aware of the ASB-24s, how I managed to miss it who knows!

The robotics nut.

1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7