Camera Module SCCB vs I2C Compatability

Hi everyone,

So I’m looking to experiment with camera tracking. I have a few servos I’ll be using for a simple pan and tilt setup. This project will run off the beaglebone black wireless.

In an effort to stay away from usb cameras as my usb ports on the BBB will be in use, I’ve found a few options. Namely the Waveshare OV5640 Camera board (a). Its control interface is SCCB but it’s also I2C compatable:

• Pixels: 5 megapixel
  • Resolution: 2592x1944
  • Sensor: OV5640
    • 1.4um x 1.4um pixel with OmniBSI technology, high sensitivity, low crosstalk, low noise
    • Automatic image control functions: AEC, AWB, ABF, ABLC, etc.
    • Image quality controls: color saturation, hue, gamma, sharpness, lens correction, etc.
    • Supports image scaling, panning, windowing, etc.
  • Lens:
    • CCD size: 1/4inch
    • Aperture (F): 2.8
    • Focal Length: 2.8mm
    • Diagonal: 63 degree
  • Output Formats:
    • YUV(422/420)/YCbCr422
    • RGB565/555/444
    • CCIR656
    • RAW RGB
    • Compressed Data
  • Operating Voltage: 3.3V
  • Control Interface: SCCB (I2C compatible)
  • Data Interface: DVP 8-bit
  • Dimension: 35.70mm × 23.90mm

Question is since I’m not too familiar with SCCB, I should be able to interface with the camera just fine with I2C without any issue or loss of quality? I imagine some coding will be required as well?

I can post the data sheet if needed.

Hey!

SCCB seems to be similar to I2C but you will definitely have to learn a thing or two about it before making your camera work.
One thing to note is that you cannot have more than 1 address on the same bus if you are using SCCB.

We found a couple of ressources that you can use to start your research on the matter:

Cheers!