H-Bridge NPN vs. PNP

I usually make a H-bridge with 2 NPN and 2 PNP transistors but I recently noticed that there´s allot of schematics on the net showing it with 4 NPN transistors and I started wondering what´s the right/best way to do it??

H-bro.jpg

NPN, because then you can

NPN, because then you can drive the pins high, e.g. with 5vdc. PNP requires GND. Imagine NPN as going forward, and PNP as backwards. NPN are also generally cheaper.

NPN=Negative Positive Negative

PNP=Positive Negative Positive

You can match those up the the emitter base and collector.

I´me sorry.I´ve ben a

I´me sorry.

I´ve ben a littel unclear the simple schematics was just to show the 2 x PNP 2 x NPN vs. 4 X NPN

This is the way i use to make a H-bridge with 2 PNP and 2 NPN but if there is a better way to do it…

Huh…

I thought NPN stood for Not Pointing iN

-and-

PNP stood for Pointing iN …(I don’t know what the last P is)

PNP is "Pointing In

PNP is “Pointing In Proudly”, but those are just mnemonics to help you remember which symbol goes with which type =D

As Krumlink mentioned, the names actually come from how the silicon is doped, either to make it have more free positive or negative charges. The same terminology is used to describe diode and other semiconductor devices too, ie: a PN diode is 2/3s of a normal BJT transistor, with one positive and one negative region sandwiched together.

Pointing iN Punk!!
Pointing iN Punk!!

Also by going "positive

Also by going “positive negative positive”, you know how it controls the current, eg a PNP is controlled by negative (ground) and controls positive currents (inbetween power and transistor).

NPN is controlled by positive (5VDC) and controls negative currents (between ground and transistor).

In case there are any
In case there are any newbies reading this, please note that both NPN and PNP are BJTs, A.K.A. Bipolar Junction Transistors.

and they all have three legs

You are wrong, make sure you
You are wrong, make sure you know what you are talking about first :slight_smile:

**Basic industrial training. **
Basic industrial training, NPN transistors can deliver more amps and are less espensive. You never see PNP transistors in power modules. I am talking old schools stuff.