How long should a Roomba battery last? | RobotShop Community

With proper care, one iRobot Roomba battery can last for hundreds of cleaning cycles before you need to replace it. Here are some things you can do to extend Roomba’s battery life and keep Roomba cleaning at peak performance:

Use your Roomba frequently. Your Roomba is powered by a rechargeable ba

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://community.robotshop.com/blog/show/how-long-should-a-roomba-battery-last
1 Like

Robot Operates For About 10 Min.And tells Me To Recharge,Do I need A New Battery,The Robot Is About Fifteen Years Old.

@Bruce Have you replaced the battery since the purchase of this robot? Usually, the Roomba battery usually needs to be replaced every 1 to 2 years. If you have not, then we strongly suggest you to replace the battery and the cleaning time should improve greatly.

I bought Roomba 565 last August and use it at least 1-2 times daily. Recently, I noticed that after charging, Roomba stops running after about 10-15 minutes. Do I already need to replace the battery in less than a year? I charged Roomba every time it runs out of battery.

@Mokka We suggest you to verify our video for the battery reset procedure for the Roomba 500 series. If you still have a run time of 10-15 minutes, we suggest you to purchase a new battery. Batteries are covered by a 6-month warranty, they should last between 1 to 2 years.

Can’t anyone give a better answer to ‘how long does the standard roomba battery last?’ Saying hundreds of cleaning cycles means nothing. 100, 200, 300, 900? Those of us with error 5 messages are trying to figure out if we should replace the battery or look for some other problem. :frowning:

@Andrew It really depends on the duration of the cycle, how many times per week you are using it, many factors can modify the battery’s life.
Usually, a battery can last between 1 to 2 years, if you are using the robot at least once per week and keeping it on the charging station.

When charging the Roomba is the sold green light suppose to stay on while charging? Mine comes on when I connect it but goes off in a few seconds. The charge doesn’t seem to last as long as it did at first and I’ve only had it about 4 months.

@Diane When charging after a cleaning session, the Roomba should either pulse green or orange. Pulsing green means the Battery is almost full. Pulsing orange means the battery was almost empty.

I just reset the battery like in the video Matthieu posted above. Before, the roomba was only cleaning for 5 minutes at a time even though the light was green when it started. Now its been charging with an orange light for quite a while, so I assumed it wasn’t being charged right all those times it was on its charging dock? Is the dock bad or did the reset fix why it wasn’t charging correctly?

@David The orange light should flash for about 24 hours. You will certainly see with the next cleaning cycle how much your Roomba is cleaning with the battery. Then, put it on the charger and time the next cleaning cycle. You’ll know if there’s a problem with the charger or not by comparing both cleaning cycle.

Have owned Roomba Series 700 for 10 months and except for the first 2 months it hasn’t charged correctly, always giving Error 5. About 2 weeks ago it suddenly charged correctly! But only that one time and have followed all suggestion for cleaning battery, etc. If I catch it right after Error 5 it will clean for a while but not like if it was fully charged and in the right way. Do I buy a new battery or is my Roomba a lemon?

@Dawn, the battery should last anywhere from 50 minutes to 2 hours depending on the type of floors and obstacles. If it is any lower than that the battery might need to be replaced. If you purchase a battery and it does not fix the issue you have 30 days to return for a refund.

I’ve seen a generic Roomba battery on Amazon with mixed reviews but a much lower price than what is referred to as an OEM battery. Would you recommend one over the other? Thanks for the response!

@Dawn We are offering a very good Roomba battery, which is lower price than the OEM battery. We have seen a very low percentage of return with this battery.

I kept my robot in a spare room/daughter’s room when home from college. She evidently unplugged it and I didn’t notice until days later. Now I can’t get it to charge, I tried the reset and left on charger 72 hrs. Incidentally it is 31/2 yrs old. Should I just order a new battery?

@Kathy C It seems the issue is caused by a dead battery. We would suggest you to try a new battery, as it can certainly fix the issue.

Got a Roomba for Christmas! What a boon! I can’t vacuum due disability. Now I won’t have to ask people for help!! It does a great job.

I have Roomba 650 for about 4 years. What a smart device!!! It is such a great help for an old man( I don’t consider 76- year- old man a very old, but my wife does). I don’t need to go on my knees to clean under the beds and couches anymore. Thanks, smart people! The only thing I modified is the hinge of the dust collecting unit door. I put 1/8 " stainless steel shaft from the day one of my purchase because I found it as a weak point. It looks like battery became weak because Roomba does not go to the charging station as it usually did. How can I be sure that my lovely helper needs a new battery?

@Mikhail Have you replaced your battery since the purchase of this robot? Usually, you need to replace the battery every year or two. You can purchase a new battery for your Roomba 650 here.