Litter Robot III (Open Air) ends its cycle upside-down

Hi Roboteers,

Just last week our litter robot started a strange behaviour of ending its cleaning cycle upside-down.

It would rotate to empty the waste and would only return just enough so that the waste chute was just past the opening and then stop. The solid blue light would come on indicating that it is ready for action. However the unused litter is still trapped in the reservoir.

We ran a few power on, power off cycles which did not rectify the issue. The only thing that solved it (temporarily) was a full power disconnection from the back of the unit.

It would run for maybe a day or two with no issues, but the issue would come back and again a full power disconnection from the back of the unit was the only thing that allowed it to do a full cycle return.

Iā€™m looking for some help in troubleshooting this issue as itā€™s not the normal yellow or red light scenarios.

Things Iā€™ve looked at: They key is in the pocket. Iā€™ve emptied the waste drawer. Iā€™ve cleaned the base. Iā€™ve cleaned the exterior of the globe. Iā€™ve cleaned the inside of the globe with wipes.

Please help me get my robot back to normal as we donā€™t want our cats trying to pee in a litter robot that doesnā€™t have any litter and could damage electronics should they urinate down the chute onto the base.

Thanks.

@Myxlstyx, If we understand correctly, the unit will cycle, will then return for just a few inch then stops upside down and the blue solid light will turn ON?

If thatā€™s the case please try the hard reset >

1. Turn the Power Off and unplug the Power Supply from the Base of the unit.
  2. Remove the Bonnet from the unit and set it aside, then remove the Globe and set it aside making sure that it does not roll.
  3. Ensure the Base is properly situated on a hard level surface, that it is not pushed against a wall, and has nothing resting on it. Empty the Waste Drawer regardless of how much waste is collected.
  4. Put the Globe back on the unit and ensure that it is on the track. If you feel that the Globe is heavy to one side or another, check in the Litter Pocket to make sure that there is not wet or clumped litter stuck that is throwing off the weight of the unit during cycling. Ensure the Globe is filled to the Fill Line and not above the Fill Line.
  5. Replace the Bonnet ensuring all 4 tabs are in place and lock the black Key on the back of the Globe into the slot.
  6. Ensure no part of the unit is pushed against a wall, or has anything resting against it.
  7. Plug the unit back in and Power the unit On.
  8. The unit should start to cycle, upon return, the unit will perform a ā€œresetā€ and use that weight as its baseline moving forward.
  9. Press the ā€˜Cycleā€™ button again to test that it can complete a cycle and return to the home position with a Solid Blue LED. Once completed, move on to step 10.
  10. Press on the Globe just above the entrance in a forward and down motion to activate the Cat Sensor (Red LED On). Let the unit continue the 7 minute timer, cycle, and return Home to a Solid Blue LED.

If, in steps 9 or 10, the unit does not return Home, or it does not return Home with a Solid Blue LED, please note any light patterns at that time and advise us, so we can help troubleshoot further.

I have followed the instructions. Doing a full power reset.

I have checked the litter pocket and found no excess litter.
I can start the cycle from an upright position and it goes all the way around to dump.
On the way back it stops as the chute is just above the inner edge of the waste drawer.
The orientation of the globe at this point is perfectly upside-down. It then makes a small noise as if it were about to retract but no longer moves. The Blue Solid Light then comes on.

Hitting the cycle button from this position causes the globe to rotate to the far edge of the waste drawer, stop and return and stop again as the inner edge of the waste drawer, again perfectly upside-down.

I have a photo that I could e-mail.

The full power resets that previously worked temporarily no longer work and the robot is always ending in the wrong position.

We are now leaving the unit powered off and simply running a dump cycle then manually removing the globe to get the litter and globe back in a good position for the cats to use again.

Please let me know if there is someone that I should be calling about this.

Thanks.

Did this ever get resolved for you? Weā€™re having a similar issue.

1 Like

Hi @Kateish

Have you tried the full reset procedure?
When the robot stops, is there any lights flashing on the control panel?

Same issue here - and Iā€™ve done the reset multiple times. It was a perfect machine for 2 years and now I have problems almost every cycle. Very frustrating.

1 Like

Hi @loria032

Thank you for your reply and welcome to the RobotShop community!

Is there any light flashing on the control panel?

Sadly, this is a constant problem with the Open Air Litter Robots.
All the instructions from the factory/headquarters are followed with precision, yet this NEVER STOPS HAPPENING! Itā€™s GUARANTEED to happen every several weeks.

So ā€¦ I believe they made the Open Airā€™s too complicated. The earlier models never had to be reset like these newer (complicated with too many sensors) models are. I might be wrong, but the volume of YouTube instructional videos on how to remedy the newer Open Air units are extraordinarily higher than all the previous generations combined.

That said, Iā€™m not here to bash the companies efforts to try and offer/extend a solution, but at the same time, the only person in the house that have the aptitude to unassemble, reposition the (heavy/awkward) globe, reassemble and put it back in place is me. So when the Litter Robot fails as many times a month as it does, all it does is create chaos, both for the cats and the aged and infirm in the house until I can remedy the problem.

I wish theyā€™d just go back to the simplistic operating systems that were nearly bulletproof.

Gregory

1 Like

Did you find a solution to this or still looking for?

1 Like

Hi @junctureengraving,

If the robot doesnā€™t know the position of the globe, usually the problem is with the Hall-effect sensor. You can read more here: https://community.robotshop.com/blog/show/litter-robot-iii-the-hall-effect-sensor

1 Like

No, I donā€™t think the Hall Effect sensor is the issue.

What was described is pretty specific - the globe stopping upside down. Mine is doing the same thing and has been for a few months now. I have to hard reset and then unplug the unit when the globe is in the right alignment.

It would be really great if the company would show some support for this seemingly common issue. If it helps, my yellow blinking light shows after a cat cycle, the globe stops upside down. When I restart it, the globe cycles in the WRONG DIRECTION, over a ā€œbumpā€ where the case poos a little, and then cycles again. When it gets to the right spot I unplug it. Really manual.

@paranoidandroid

Where have you purchased the Litter-Robot?

I suggest you to take a look at the following if you have a yellow light blinking:

1 Like

Iā€™m sad to see that this issue has no resolution. I too have had this problem since the unit was 3 months old. Iā€™ve tried all the procedures recommended, with no joy.

This product was very expensive. My original Litter Robot is still working flawlessly. Thatā€™s why I ordered the new one when we got more cats.

Does anybody know if the company is replacing these faulty products?

Hello @Lajode,

Welcome to RobotShop community.

We are sorry to hear that you are having this issue with your Litter-Robot.

Does your robot get stuck mid-cycle and the yellow light keeps flashing?

Does it blink fast or slowly?

Are there any other blinking lights or odd behaviors?

Also, provide us with your order number.

Sincerely,

1 Like

Yes it is getting stuck perfectly upside down mid cycle. The yellow light is solid, no blinking at all.
I dont have an order number since this was a gift that I received but I have completely taken the litter box apart l, checked the sensor, checked the track, make sure to detail clean it and it is still getting stuck.
For a $500 machine, I spend more time messing with it and cleaning it than I would with a manual litter box. 100% not worth it right now.

1 Like

Hi @EileenBentley !

Could you share a video of your robot cycling so we can see better whatā€™s the issue?

1 Like

it wonā€™t let me upload the full video. Its too big of a file.

1 Like

Hey @EileenBentley,

Can you upload it on YouTube, or if it is less than 20Mb, please send it to [email protected]

Thank you.

And? Any news? Iā€™m having this issue exactly as Eileen described and NOTHING will get the robot to move at all anymore - itā€™s just stuck upside down now and wonā€™t even get back to itā€™s starting position, blue and yellow lights solid. Itā€™s been taken apart, cleaned, put back together, not touching anything, standing on straight floor, and nothing. And I wish I paid $500 - it was over ā‚¬700, and not more than half a year ago!

1 Like

Hi @Goor!

If the yellow and blue light are on at the same time, your robot is in sleep mode.

Press and hold Cycle button for 5 seconds to deactivate it.

1 Like